Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Kirocker Applet on Kubuntu Feisty

After fixing my little problem with the Amarok charset encodings (see previous post) I was able to rebuild my collection and have all my music titles, albums and artists names nicely displayed on the OSD screen and collection browser.

After that I read about this little Kirocker applet and wanted to try it. Unfortunately there are no packages in the official repositories so we need to install it from sources.

To install it in Kubuntu Feisty Herd 4 (may work too in Edgy and Dapper) you need to satisfy a lot of development dependencies that are difficult to figure out. The configure script will fail a lot as you figure out what packages you need to install to allow the configure script to finish. To avoid you the trouble here are the instructions I used to get Kirocker to compile on my system.

First install all dependencies:

$ sudo aptitude install build-essential
$ sudo aptitude install kdelibs4-dev

Download the source code from here and compile/install it:

$ tar xvfz kirocker-2.0.tar.gz
$ cd kirocker
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ sudo make install

Once installed you can add it to the kicker as any other applet and enjoy!.

No comments:

Post a Comment